Treatments for Hair Loss in Women
There are many things a woman can do to help with hair loss. The first step is to determine what is causing the hair loss in the first place. This can be achieved by visiting your family doctor or dermatalogist. Hair loss can be a result of a number of factors, many of them treatable.
Treatments for hair loss in women
B-vitamins: These are essential for proper hair growth. A deficiency of the B-vitamins biotin and PABA can cause hair loss. Hair loss vitamins for women containing biotin may strengthen hair, stimulate new hair growth, slow hair loss, and prevent greying, particularly in those who are deficient in this nutrient. PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) may protect hair roots and help prevent hair loss. It can also reverse greying in cases where the cause is a deficiency of PABA or other B-vitamins.
Dosage: Take a B-complex vitamin daily.
Essential fatty acids: A deficiency can cause hair loss; supplements can help improve the health of scalp and hair. Take a blend of fish, flaxseed, and evening primrose or borage oil.
Dosage: 2–3 g daily.
Treatments for Hair Loss in Women with Essential Oils
A study by Scottish researchers found that essential oils could benefit bald patches caused by alopecia areata. In this study, half of the participants massaged a combination of essential oils of thyme, rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood onto their scalps each day. The other half of participants massaged inactive oils. After seven months, 44 percent of the patients using the essential oils showed significant improvement in hair growth compared to only 15 percent improvement in the placebo group.
- Grape seed extract: A potent antioxidant, grape seed extract can be used as one of the treatments for hair loss in women. It has shown in preliminary research to stimulate hair growth. Dosage: 50–100 mg daily.
- Minerals: Iron, selenium, and zinc are essential for hair growth; a deficiency can cause hair loss. Dosage: Take as part of multi supplement with both minerals and hair loss vitamins for women.
- Saw palmetto: Used primarily for the treatment of enlarged prostate. It blocks the production of DHT and thus it may be helpful for treating hair loss due to high DHT levels, although this has not been tested in humans yet. Consult with your health care provider before supplementing with saw palmetto.
To improve the health of your hair and prevent hair loss, consider the following tips for treatment for hair loss in women
1. Eat lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fish, nuts, seeds, and ensure adequate protein intake.
2. Reduce or minimize saturated fat, caffeine, sugar, and salt.
3. Get regular exercise and don’t smoke.
4. Avoid using harsh chemicals and heat on your hair. Do a scalp massage with es-
sential oils weekly.
5. Consider a quality supplement containing the important hair loss vitamins for women, including the B-vitamins.