It’s spring time, and we all know what that means, wedding season! That’s right. It’s time to inventory your party dresses and revamp your shoe collection. You’re on the wedding circuit this summer!
The ceremony will be beautiful and the reception venue amazing, the only question is, how are you going to survive the dinner? Here are a few strategies we found helpful when faced with the dilemma of eating healthy while still having fun at a wedding.
- Control yourself during cocktail hour. There will a bounty of cater waiters tempting you with cocktail shrimp and mini quiches. Resist. Keep in mind there will be a full dinner service later in the night.
- Have a buffet table strategy. If you’re faced with eating from the buffet table know your portion sizes. Keep them small and be picky about what you select. Use the salad plate instead of the dinner plate if it helps. It’s a wedding, so it’s important to enjoy yourself, but you don’t want to go off the rails with your diet. If you’re tempted to have seconds wait 20 minutes (the length of time it takes your stomach to tell your brain that it’s full) and have a glass of water and relax. You might find the desire for that second helping disappears. Don’t forget that dessert is on its way.
- Cheers to the happy couple. If you’re going to drink alcohol at the wedding, that’s fine. Who doesn’t love a nice glass of wine, but you need to be smart about how much you drink. The calories in wine, beer and mixed drinks can really add up. If you find you’re the kind of person who needs to be holding a drink the entire time, try rotating a glass of alcohol with a glass of water or soda.
- Avoidance. This is going to be key to keeping your wedding meal fat free. Stay away from cream sauces and soups, starchy foods and anything that has been deep fried. If you’re a soda-holic opt for the diet version and skip the croutons on your salad. Every little bit helps.
- Partners in Crime. These days dessert is a serious statement at weddings. Many couples offer more than just the standard wedding cake. Find a dessert buddy and share your portions. That way you can try a little of everything while not gorging on sugary sweets. You’ll both walk away satisfied and guilt free.
- Next day detox. If you did throw your diet rules out the window, be smart about what you eat the next day. Keep it as healthy and clean as possible. Drink plenty of water, take a multivitamin and eat whole wheat’s, veggies and fruits. Try to get a work out in or if that’s not possible take an extra-long walk.
Now go and enjoy yourself on your friend big day!