Find yourself dozing off during the day? Struggling to get out of bed in the morning? It could be that you’re simply not getting enough quality sleep. Here are some tips I’ve found helpful for getting a good night’s sleep.
- Get active. Regular exercise may help reset your internal clock for a healthier sleep/wake pattern. You can try something as simple as going for a walk after dinner, or some yoga. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time between exercise and bedtime to recover.
- Unplug. Turn off the TV and any other electronic devices before you get into bed. Avoid the late-night news or any violent shows that might be unsettling. The blue lights from computer monitors, smartphones and any other electric devices can also disturb sleep/wake cycles.
- Drink up. Avoid caffeinated drinks such as coffee and soda before bedtime. Instead, opt for some warm milk. Not only is it delicious and soothing, but the tryptophan in milk will help you feel sleepy.
- De-stress. If you find you can’t shut your brain off when your head hits the pillow, you’ll never get the rest you need. Make a list of what needs to get done the next day, before you go to bed. This will clear your mind and allows you to “turn off” and fall asleep.
- Take time. Give yourself an hour to get ready for bed. Develop a soothing routine that lets your body know it’s time to get some shut-eye. Dim the lights, take a warm bath and turn down the thermostat.
- An extra step. If you’re still struggling to get fall asleep or stay asleep, after trying these tips consider a non-prescription sleep aid like femMED SLEEP. It’s a combination of herbs which are specially formulated to help you fall asleep sooner and stay asleep longer.
Developing healthy sleeping habits is just as important for your long term health as eating well and exercising, something many of us don’t realize. Sleep is the time that our bodies use to recharge and rebuild. A good night’s sleep will help you stay mentally alert during the day, improve your memory and even lower stress. Try these tips and you’ll be amazed how at much better you’ll feel, both mentally and physically.